COMPUTER SCIENCE PATHWAY
TWO-YEAR PROGRAM/OPEN ENROLLMENT
- All SBHS students will be encouraged to take an introductory class in CS, and any qualified student may enroll in any CS class, subject to availability.
- Students who elect to join the 2-year Program will receive priority enrollment in CS classes.
- All students are encouraged to participate in the robotics club and extracurricular coding competitions, and monthly lectures.
- Select Upper class students in the 2- year program may participate in a Silicon Valley Field Trip, space permitting.
COMPUTER SCIENCE MASTER PROGRAM
- Academy enrollment will be limited, and will depend on availability in upper level courses.
- CS Master students may enter as freshmen, sophomores or qualified juniors.
- CS Master students receive first priority in CS class enrollment.
CS Master students are also:
- expected to take 3-4 years of CS classes or 2 semesters beyond AP Computer Science.
- encouraged to participate in robotics programming or software competition.
- required to contribute up to 20 hours mentoring other students.
- allowed to skip the introductory courses and go directly to AP computer science after the summer C programming course (with permission of the instructor).
- encouraged to continue CS courses at SBCC after completing the SBHS curriculum.
- encouraged to participate in the software oriented Robotics Club competitions.
- encouraged to participate in software competitions
- eligible to apply for industry partner-sponsored summer internships
- eligible to go on field trips to Silicon Valley to visit software companies and visit tech museums
- able to skip regular Freshman Seminar and defer Health until a later year (Masters students will take an online version of FS)
SBCC COURSES FOR ADVANCED STUDENTS
SBCC courses that will count toward the CS Master Academy include CS 114 Python Programming and CS 145 Introduction to Data Structures, both of which are 3 units and UC/CSU transferable.